Saturday, March 3, 2018

It's Gettin' Hot in Here...

"For many years, the “hot bath” test was used to diagnose multiple sclerosis. A person suspected of having MS was immersed in a hot tub of water, and the appearance of or worsening neurologic symptoms was taken as evidence the person had MS."

This was taken directly from an article on the National MS Society website, regarding the way heat and humidity, as well as cold, influence the symptoms of MS. Although I've apparently had symptoms off and on for a few years, and they started to be noticeable last summer, I still haven't had to deal with the brunt of them in the heat until just recently. And, unfortunately for me, it isn't even spring yet. And we live in Texas. Where it gets hot. Really, really hot. And humid.

This past winter, I didn't have too many problems during workouts, because we workout outside - the cold air kept my core temperature low enough that I didn't notice any exacerbations. Recently, we've had some warmer temps and it's been pretty humid the past week. Out of the four workouts I attended this week, I had increasing issues with leg weakness at two of them. I've also had several MS hugs this week, that annoying tightness and shortness of breath that shows up at the worst times. My facial nerve pain and the neuropathy in my feet - yeah, the humidity does a number on that, too.

Fatigue - check.
Headaches - check.
Pins & Needles - check.
Facial Nerve Annoyance - check
Weakness - check.
Still staying awesome - CHECK!!

Life is short, and you're reminded of the value of every moment when you're given a diagnosis like MS. When you realize that, any day, you could wake up blind, or unable to walk - it makes you take advantage of the days when you have mobility, sight, hearing - things that demyelination could take from you at any moment.

Today, after recovering from a crazy awesome workout with an amazing group of athletes, Corey and I took the kids (and the dog) to the park. It's just across the street from our house, so we walked. The weather was just too good to stay home, especially since we've had about 87 days of rain here in North Texas. Later, after their naps, we took them out again, in the backyard. They played together while Corey and I cut the grass. (That's what 87 days of rain will do for you.) And that's when it happened - I fell.

I fell, and it had absolutely nothing to do with MS. I was backing up with the push mower, to get one last little strip of grass by our hammocks. Unfortunately, my back-up cameras were off and I forgot to turn around and check my surroundings - so I backed up into the fire pit, tripped backwards over the edge of it, and fell smack on my rear in a pile of old, half-burned sticks. Yep. Fun, fun, fun. Eli got a little freaked out, standing a few feet away crying, "Mommy!! Are you OKAY??" Yeah...it was fun. I have a big bruise, but it could have been worse. Now, my EGO, on the other hand..

Oh - my neuro's office called in some headache meds for my daily headaches from the Gilenya. They're only helping a little, but I guess that's better than nothing. I've also had some hearing issues/tinnitus show up over the last week, but not sure whether it's MS-related or not. I just know that I had to move away from someone because their voice was reverberating in my head, and it was freakin' uncomfortable. So, we'll see...it's just another crazy way that this disease rears it's ugly-ass head. Meh.

But it was nice to end the week surrounded by friends and family, soaking up some Vitamin D, and enjoying the fresh air. I may be totally wiped tomorrow, but you know what?

It was absolutely worth it.









2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you won't be too sore today. Glad for a better weekend with some needed sunshine.

    ReplyDelete

Living in the In-Between

It's been a while (two months, actually) since I last posted about my journey through life with MS. The holidays were a crazy, busy time...