Monday, March 19, 2018

The Human Pincushion Gets Her Ears Checked

That's kind of how I feel lately...a little like a human pincushion. Especially at night, ya'll...when I most want to relax and sleep. If my feet are even the TINIEST bit warm, it triggers the pins and needles in my feet to start going haywire. Yesterday, I did a little too much helping my 8 year old daughter clean her tornado ravaged bedroom, so I dealt with some wicked insomnia and the pins and needles in my feet, which really pisses you off when you're exhausted.


Oh, well...I did FINALLY get to sleep again, then woke up an hour later to go workout. I knew I'd feel even worse today if I didn't get my workout in somehow. I'm tired tonight, but I had to get some of these words "on paper" before I hit the sack.

Tomorrow I'm headed to the ENT, to see what the heck is going on with my ears. The muffled sounds, sensitivity to loud noise, and vertigo are getting worse, so we really need to figure out what's going on. They'll check my hearing and do a ton of other tests, hopefully narrowing down the cause of what's causing all these problems. Yesterday, at church, I had to wear ear plugs because the amplification was bothering me. I'm really praying for some answers. Could all just be due to the MS, or it could be Meniere's Disease, which is a disease that often runs concurrently with MS.

I didn't have it in me to make a "real" dinner tonight, so the kids got frozen nuggets, fruit and Doritos. Hey, at least they ATE, right? Oh, and they drank milk. So, there's that.

Speaking of exercising...can I just say how grateful I am to still have my mobility? I mean, seriously, people - at ANY moment, I could lose the use of my legs, arms, eyes...but I haven't lost them yet. And for that, I'm grateful. I posted a meme the other day that said something to the effect of "Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do...not punishment for what you ate." Wow, I really wish people would take advantage of the ability to MOVE, and to do so independently. I'm still able to exercise 4-5 times a week, so that's what I do. Don't get me wrong - if the jerk-that-is-MS tells me I need to rest one day, then I do. But I try to keep moving, because I know that doing so is going to keep me mobile for far longer than if I were to stay put...

Not that I don't have my moments when my legs go wobbly and I have to rest a little longer between sets...and lately, my Gilenya (the MS meds) have been affecting my lung capacity to the point that I have a hard time catching my breath occasionally. Oh, and I lost feeling in my lower half on Saturday, during squat jumps. Let me tell ya'...weirdest feeling EVER, people. It didn't feel "numb," or have that "my legs fell asleep" sensation. It literally felt like there were no body parts below my hips. Whoa...trippy, ya'll. Don't worry, it obviously came back within about 30 seconds.

So, that's about it for this week's update...just more of the same old, same old. Figuring out my new "normal," focusing on fueling my body properly and getting the exercise and rest I need...it's not easy, and I screw up a lot. But I sure do love ice cream, so there's that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living in the In-Between

It's been a while (two months, actually) since I last posted about my journey through life with MS. The holidays were a crazy, busy time...